Wednesday, June 22, 2016

What makes a weightlifter?

Doing it of course.But that's not all.
This is a question of what you are to yourself,and what you appear to be to others.Do you look like a weightlifter?And what does a weightlifter look like? Do you have to look like you lift to be the authentic article?
I think the stereotype is the bulky,lumbering oaf.Which is mostly exaggerated.Many people lift weights and don't look that abnormal.I think some Olympic Weightlifters who are great at what they do could walk down the street in regular clothes,and not stand out too much.A Power Lifter may be very strong looking,but would some people know by looking at them what they could do?
Some lift and look extraordinary.I wish I looked more like I lift than I do.I've done a lot of hard work with not enough awesome looking to show for it.I do train like a Bodybuilder.But I haven't always eaten like a Bodybuilder.I admit I feel cheated by that.But we don't all have the self discipline,or genetics,or the good fortune to be equally rewarded for our workouts.
I don't talk much about my lifting with others.I'm not involved in the gym culture even though I've spent time in gyms.I talk about it a little with my Doctor,a few friends,a few relatives.But I just don't have it in me to brag.Maybe if people looked at me and really noticed.I wonder what it must feel like to wear your work for all to see? That has to be one of the major reasons people work out in the first place.But I've rarely gotten that payoff.I'm inherently modest anyway.It might make me uncomfortable to get more attention.So maybe I'm not missing much.
I think we're lifters because it suits us.We're human Dray Horses.Take the bit in our teeth and haul away.Work hard for the sake of it.Pull.Push.Struggle.Lift.
That's me.I recognized it when I saw it.I knew I should do that.Like a string vibrating in sympathy to another string.I saw my kind.
I don't need other people to give me credit for it.I know how much work I do.
I think that's the best attitude to have.Wear it on the inside,and be comfortable with it.The strength is always there.I don't need other people's eyes to affirm it.I'll keep lifting no matter what.
But yes,I'm trying to bring it all in line more now.That feels like being a proper weightlifter,and respecting the whole process.
So I lift weights,train,bodybuild for myself.I live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment