Thursday, June 16, 2016

The Golden Weight Set


This is from the back of Muscle and Fitness magazine from the early 80's.
The big deluxe weight set from Weider.My parents ordered it for me when I was a teenager.
I think I had other weights before this.I'm sure I did.Some of those bulky maroon plastic concrete filled dumbbells second hand.Before that the metal bar from my closet.If you're a determined kid,you make due.
I'm not sure the set I got was precisely like this.I don't remember the head harness.Also I really don't think they sent that many plates.I think that was for the photo to show what could be done with it.Still that's it.The goofy metal barbell shoes which were hopelessly awkward to use.The stick,and string were for your forearms.I think the black handles were to make some kind of kettlebell.I did eventually get better collars.
Here's the crazy thing.I still have it,and use it.Most of it anyway.
There is very little 'Planned Obsolescence' in barbells.You have to appreciate that.I can't tell you much money I spent restringing my tennis rackets with expensive french gut.But the iron...it lasts.

1 comment: