Tuesday, June 14, 2016

I've been lifting a long time

There's an old joke; I just flew in from 'pick a city',and boy are my arms tired!
I keep remembering that when I think how long I've been lifting weights.I've been lifting weights since I was about 'a teenager',and boy are my arms tired.
They often are.I lifted for about 9hrs and 38min last week.I'm not young.This has been my on and off obsession for most of my life.I did take a lot of time off.I was also very interested in tennis,and played for a while.I really can't run around much on hard tennis courts anymore,so I'm seriously back to the gym.
My gym.People say 'Go hard,or go home'.I have a home gym.I can go home and go hard.
I'm also interested in Bodybuilding.I saw the movie 'Pumping Iron' on TV when I was probably twelve.It made a lasting impression on me.I also saw 'Pumping Iron 2 - The Women'.That made a bigger impression.
I always felt naturally fascinated by muscle,and strength.Seeing the male bodybuilders was exciting,and inspiring.But seeing the women was another matter.I'm female.I think I would have lifted anyway.But it was amazing to see that there were women interested in the devoted pursuit of muscularity.
I watched whatever I could on TV about bodybuilding.They actually had the major contests on TV back then.I also read the magazines,and bought books.It felt like the sport,and way of life,was really growing then.There was an explosion in interest.
The competitive sport has clearly faded.The open class Women's Bodybuilding is out of the IFBB.And the fact is,the men are not ever going to become mainstream.
Of course this is because of the extremity of the bodies on display.It's because of the high amount of drugs that the athletes are taking.
But that's a big issue.The fact is I still enjoy bodybuilding.I still get a lot of good out of it personally.
So I've been thinking about sharing a few ideas,and opinions about it.Probably because I work out at home,and feel separated from the big gym culture I feel like I can have a certain perspective.
A few points.I'm not an expert.I'm interested.It's not the same thing.
I will never be posting pictures of myself,or much personal information.It's easy for people to say "You're not impressive." I'm not.I know that too.To quote Jeff Everson "I've never done anything remotely impressive.".( he actually has )
But I'm smarter than the average gym denizen.I've been around longer anyway.I prefer a mature philosophical approach to over emotionalism.The world of Barbells could use a few more pounds of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment